data dictionary with a million tables

From: Luis Londono <luisl_at_bigplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 19:03:50 -0600

I need help with a littlle problem that I have. I have a bunch of developers that want to create an application using Oracle that would end up having probably a million very small tables (100 - 1000 records each). It is easier for them to develop it this way, but I am trying to convince them that it is not a good idea. It seems to me that the performance of the entire database would suffer a lot since the data dictionary would be over worked. Unfortunately I do not have any solid evidence or an argument more convincing than a gut feeling. Does anyone have some information that would help me? Or if I am wrong, I would sure like to know. Thanks.

-Luis

--

Luis Londono

Senior Systems Engineer             370 E 1130 S
Big Planet Inc.                     Provo, UT 84606
mailto: luisl_at_bigplanet.net         (801) 345-7222