Re: 24x7 with full backup

From: Mário Nogueira <mario.nogueira_at_jae.pt>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 16:37:13 +0100

Richard Hoffbeck wrote:

> There are several ways to do this ranging from cheap to expensive and
> relatively easy to really hard. Which one works best depends on your exact
> requirements.
>
> The cheapest way is probably to do a cold backup, copy the files to a
> reasonably close backup machine, bring that instance up to a mounted state.
> Then start up the primary copy and routinely copy over the log files and
> apply them to the backup database. I think the command is something like
> 'alter database backup database ...'. This gives you a 'warm' backup that

I think it's "alter database mount standby database"; this second database is known as a standby database. I dont know if you can copy the control files, or have to recreate them in some way - look in the docs...

> can be restarted as necessary. The process is just to copy over the latest
> active log file, do a point in time recovery and the start the backup

the last *archived* log file, and just do a "recover database"

--
Mário Miguel Nogueira
Systems Administrator

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer. Received on Wed May 05 1999 - 10:37:13 CDT