Performance Question

From: <lisa.bogart_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:51:31 GMT

I am a newbie to Oracle and only an application developer but my DBA is seriously overworked and I am hoping someone might be able to give me some clues. I have a select that I am running that initially gives me almost immediate response but after some of the data is retrieved, it chokes for almost a minute before that last few records are retrieved. The select is a join of 4 tables but only returns less than 55 rows but it takes over a minute to get ALL the data even though I see almost instantanious response at first. When I run the select in SQL*Plus, it throws up the first 45 rows and then chokes for over a minute before it displays the rest. I am trying to create a disconnected recordset in a Visual Basic component running in Microsoft Transaction Server and this kind of response is unacceptable. I am not an Oracle person at all but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.