Too many implicit cursors!?

From: Stan <sbrubaker_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 06:11:04 -0600

I'm using Personal Oracle 8.0.4 with PL/SQL on NT. According to the documentation I've read, for any SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE, OR INSERT statement oracle opens and closes an implicit cursor automatically.

Nonetheless, I'm getting the dreaded "maximum open cursors exceeded." My statements are running inside a package's procedures and functions. I do several hundred SELECTS, INSERTS, UPDATES, DELETES within a transaction. My statements are not complex and do not use subqueries.

Apparently, the "automatic closing" doesn't free up the cursors until after the commit. I don't understand this. Since you can't use the implicit cursor in your program anyway, why does it hang around wasting resources until commit or close-connection?

Any suggestions, tips, tricks?

STAN Received on Tue May 04 1999 - 07:11:04 CDT