sqlplus and environment variables

From: <dejakurichan_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 11:36:26 GMT

Oracle 8.0.5 on RedHat Linux 5.2/Intel

I setup Oracle in /export/home1/oracle. I set "/export/home1/oracle" as my ORACLE_HOME environment variable, then all other variables based on ORACLE_HOME. It works perfectly.

So what's the problem you say?

I set a symbolic link in "/" that links /home to /export/home1, then adjusted ORACLE_HOME to "/home/oracle"

From that point on sqlplus gives me "ORA-1034 Oracle not available"

If I switch ORACLE_HOME back to "/export/home1/oracle" it works again...

Anyone have any insights on why the symbolic link would not be treated normally? Ever other app I have works PERFECTLY, but oracle chokes on this...

Chris

Please cc to chris{at}neuromagic.co.jp