Re: external authentication

From: XU <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 3 May 1999 23:12:53 GMT

Yes, I can lend you some thoughts:

When using oracle database authentication, oracle checks whether you have "SYSDBA" privilege if you intend to startup/shutdown the db;

When using "external" (OS) authentication, the database server verifies whether you have been granted the "OSDBA" roles AT THE OPERATING SYSTEM LEVEL. In order to make your case work, grant your OS account to be a member of OSDBA group. This can be easily done if you're the sys admin on a UNIX or NT.

Xuequn XU

cho5 (cho5_at_home.com) wrote:
: Good afternoon,
: 1. I installed the ORCL(default instance) on NT4.0 machine following up the
: setup process. Once that done, I did connect on to the ORCL instance with
: INTERNAL id and did create initial parameter file to handle external
: authentication by changing the remote_login_passwordfile to 'NONE' and
: remote_os_authent='TRUE' and os_authent_prefix="".

: 2. When I did try to apply those changes to the ORCL instance, the ORCL
: sent back messages: "shutting down the database and unable to start the
: database with insufficient privileges"

: Q: If you are able to shut down the database, would you have the same
: privilege to start the database? After all, this is INTERNAL id.

: 3. After that, I did use the local parameter file(INITORCL.ORA) to start up
: the ORCL database and the ORACLE did not give me any message.

: Q: Now, I am able to start the database with the original init parameter
: file. Why is that?

: It seems to be very inconsistent.

: I appreciate anybody lend me any thoughts on these problem.

: Thanks.
: _