external authentication

From: cho5 <cho5_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 19:00:29 GMT

Good afternoon,
1. I installed the ORCL(default instance) on NT4.0 machine following up the setup process. Once that done, I did connect on to the ORCL instance with INTERNAL id and did create initial parameter file to handle external authentication by changing the remote_login_passwordfile to 'NONE' and remote_os_authent='TRUE' and os_authent_prefix="".

2. When I did try to apply those changes to the ORCL instance, the ORCL sent back messages: "shutting down the database and unable to start the database with insufficient privileges"

Q: If you are able to shut down the database, would you have the same privilege to start the database? After all, this is INTERNAL id.

3. After that, I did use the local parameter file(INITORCL.ORA) to start up the ORCL database and the ORACLE did not give me any message.

Q: Now, I am able to start the database with the original init parameter file. Why is that?

It seems to be very inconsistent.

I appreciate anybody lend me any thoughts on these problem.

Thanks.