Re: VB6->CR7->crash Oracle...

From: <hlh_nospam_at_excite.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 15:55:15 GMT

In article <7gk9q4$o8f$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>,   "Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
> If Oracle is running on a server and the VB6/CR7 app on a client
machine,
> then I strongly doubt that that VB6/CR7 can cause the corruption of
the
> database. Assuming that the SQL (or stored procedures) they use are
not
> "hostile" in any manner. But then this problem is not related to the
actual
> product (e.g. VB6 or CR7), but to the actual SQL statements/stored
> procedures used. The same calls from another application (Delphi,
SQL*Plus
> etc) will cause the same problems.

The pieces of the puzzle are still not falling into place. I investigated the driver situation this morning. Since I have never before had to worry about how any of this stuff was installed (the resident DBA always wanted to be in charge of that, and didn't want me screwing with it), my observations may be naive. But, here goes...

CR7 appears to use a translation DLL which communes directly with the Oracle driver, not ODBC.

VB6 appears to be using OLE DB, not ODBC.

SQL*plus uses its own driver, not ODBC. We are using Oracle 7.3, which is reputed to be very stable.

I have renamed all of the ODBC DLL's that I could find (the 32-bit ODBC administrator will not allow me to uninstall anything, and I didn't install the OS on this machine, and the IS 'help' department here is not interested in providing any) so that they wouldn't be found. It would appear that I am not using ODBC anywhere, therefore my original information was wrong.

I am running a stored procedure from VB6 which does a CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW. There is nobody else running this stored procedure (AFAIK). I then run some additional stored procedures which build some temporary tables for use by CR7, then I call the CR7 component (which I presume to be an OCX) to display it. I pass several parameters to the CR7 component using the parameterFields property, whereupon it reads several linked databases and displays a report. I am not using CR7 to alter or drop any tables or views. I generally have an instance of SQL*plus, CR7 IDE, and VB IDE running concurrently.

At the time the last Oracle server crash occurred, I had run my VB program, and the CR7 OCX came up with a blank report. I then went back to see if the main table was empty, and SQL*plus reported that there was no such table. I tried to re-create the table, and Oracle gave me an error message. At that point, the Oracle server was unusable from any workstation. We examined the trace log, and found one of the data tables was corrupted, and the log was full of error messages concerning tables that only I was using. I am still mystified regarding the ultimate cause of this.

I agree that there should be absolutely nothing I can send to the Oracle database that can corrupt a table or a control file. Currently suspicion is hardware problems.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed.