Re: Any difference bet Oracle 8 on NT WS vs NT Server

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 10:45:34 -0400

Tuomas Hosia wrote in message <3729d4fd.28059367_at_news.lut.fi>...
>"Jerry Gitomer" <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

Snip

>> An MSCE told me that the only difference between NT server and NT
>>workstation -- up through NT 4.0 -- is the optimization and space devoted
>>internal queues. I believe it since I have run Oracle on both NT server
and
>>NT workstation and have not seen any difference.
>>
>> In spite of that for a system that is to be shared by several
developers
>>I would go with NT Server, 4 processors, lots and lots of disk, a gig or
>>more of RAM, any monitor you can dig up.
>
>How many is 'several' as our company has currently 7 developers
>(Forms&Reports, also Centura) working on one instance and
>single-processor PII with single IDE-drive and 128M memory handles the
>load easily, on NT WS with default settings?
>
>Database isn't very large though, developer-version of it is about
>600M, but same machine is also used as a workstation (mine) and it
>doesn't degrade performance substantially.
>
>Your proposition seems a fair amount of overkilling to me, if I may
>say so. :)
>
>Tuomas
>--
>hosia_at_lut.fi(Tuomas Hosia) DoD#1684 \ On paljon hauskempi olla pakanana,
>Lappeenranta University of Technology \ ei tarvitse koskaan olla vakavana.
>Kotisivu: http://www.lut.fi/~hosia/ \ -o Eppu Normaali o-

Given the cost of hardware I am a dedicated believer in overkill. (Perhaps this is the result of being deprived when I was younger -- the first MAINFRAME computer I programmed had a grand total of 36.25MB of disk, a processor with add times measured in milliseconds, 16K characters of core memory, and it used punched cards as input. If I remember correctly it cost $600,000 US in 1960 dollars.)

regards

Jerry Gitomer