Calling remote DB stored procedure with "insert into" statement

From: <cvellala_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 13:25:03 GMT

Hello Folks!

I would like to know if "insert into" statements can be used in stored procedures that are called remotely from another database. I kind of know the steps that are involved: like creating a database link between the databases, then granting execute previliges on the stored procedure, making sure that the user logging in has "insert" previleges on the table.. etc.. Basically, when the remote stored procedure is called from a local database, it will be passed parameters which have to be inserted into a table in the remote database. But someone catagorically stated that calling remote stored procedures with "insert into" clause is not allowed in Oracle. The client I am with right now has Oracle 8.0.5 on Sun Solaris 2.6 platform.

Please reply ASAP and if the above concept works and I would very much appreciate the syntax of the stored procedure.

Thanks,
Chandu Vellala