Re: process and session

From: zhang <zhang_at_visi.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 02:40:44 GMT

Hi, Cho,

If you run dedicated-server configuration, then an Oracle Process will be spawned for EACH user session, there is One-to-One relationship between session and proecess, and LICENSE_MAX_SESSION=number of process ( If LICENSE_MAX_SESSION is set).

If you run MTS (Multi-thread server) configuration, then many user sessions
share very few server processes. Like our Oracle database in SUN, we have
75 users with average more than 100 sessions , but Oracle only uses 2 dispatches
and 2 server processes handle them. The total number of Oracle Processes ( including all
Background processes ) is below 20, then LICENSE_MAX_SESSION>>number of process.

Hope this helps.

Sean
<sean_at_cnfei.com>