Re: determining client charset of a session

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:18:56 GMT

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:22:09 -0400, Tim Besser <besser_at_openmarket.com> wrote:

>Although what I've seen on both V7.3 and 8, this will return with the
>language and territory setting from NLS_LANG, but not the charset.
>No matter what the charset of NLS_LANG, the above SQL always returns
>a value with the server charset.
>
>--tim

You are absolutely correct - I should check it first in the manuals. In SQL Language Reference it is clearely stated that USERENV('LANGUAGE') returns language and territory as set in NLS_LANG, but characterset returned is in fact the database characterset, not the one specified in NLS_LANG.

Now I'm puzzled too: is there any way to determine the characterset used in current session from inside the database (ie not from checking the NLS_LANG dirrectly)?

Regards,

Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Fri Apr 30 1999 - 15:18:56 CDT