Re: Unix vs NT

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:19:07 -0400

Hi Uwe,

    Why not just obtain the use of a PC and copies of the needed software, i.e., NT 4.0,
Linux, Oracle for NT and Oracle for Linux; install them all and run your own tests. In fact this is probably the only way you will be able to get good performance comparisons.

    If that is not feasible you can arrive at a deductive proof as follows:

    Assume NT is faster than Unix.

    This being the case a vendor providing both Unix and NT will then run the TPC benchmarks using NT.

    The only vendor offering both operating systems -- DEC (before Compaq acquired them) published their TPC benchmarks in Unix .

    Therefore:

        Unix is faster than NT!

        If NT was faster DEC would have published the benchmark results from their NT test runs rather than from their Unix test runs.

(I am making an assumption that they ran the benchmarks on both OS. Or at least that they got far enough to determine that one was superior to the other.)

regards

Jerry Gitomer