Re: Listener problem

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:47:05 -0700

Jovan

Error: ORA 12500
Text: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

Cause: The process of starting up a dedicated server process failed.
        the executable could not be found or the environment maybe set up
        incorrectly.
Action: Turn on tracing at the ADMIN level and reexecute the operation.
        Verify that the ORACLE Server executable is present and has execute
        permissions enabled.
        Ensure that the ORACLE environment is specified correctly in
        LISTENER.ORA. If error persists, contact Worldwide Customer
        Support.

I've also seen this when the server was so overloaded it couldn't start another process (unusual, but it does happen). Try turning trace on and see what happens.

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Pete Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA