OAS 4.0 EJB - General questions

From: Paul <q9820458_at_mn.waseda.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:24:40 GMT

Hello,

  I am learning about OAS 4.0, in particular Enterprise Java Beans. I have not had any experience with CORBA or any other type of serialized objects, and so would appreciate any advice in general to get me started making a test bean (even HOW to serialize my bean would be good for starters!).

  Specifically, I have two questions about the differences between the use of EJB and the JWeb cartridge:

  1. The docs make it appear that pl2java is not applicable to EJB applications. Is this true? If so, is database access only available through JDBC, or....?? What about the other classes that Oracle provides for JWeb (rdbms, html, plsql, WRB, etc.)? If none of these are available in an EJB, what exactly is the usefulness of beans???
  2. The developer's guide also seemed to warn against keeping static data elements in non-stateful beans, but was not very specific about why that would be a problem. Is using static elements as in the JWeb cartridge (to hold things you don't want to have to reinitialize every time a request is made like database sessions) a big no-no for EJB?

  Answers to these questions and any other advice anyone could offer me would be deeply appreciated!!!

                           ++

Since we have a week-long holiday in Japan, I won't be able to keep up with the usenet, thus Email responses would be sincerely appreciated!