Oracle Names

From: Mike <mminamoto_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:43:48 GMT

Hi Subject Matter Experts,

I am new to Oracle DBA work, my field being unix system administration. Recently, I was tasked with installing Oracle Names server in a mixed oracle environment, i.e., 7.3.4, 8.0.4, 8.0.5 etc... I got this job since I'd been to oracle classes and am now a "DBA". Well, I know and you know it ain't that easy junior!!! Anyway --

As of right now I have had success with using the names server to register the services on the oracle 7/8 databases (where one host has both 7 and 8, with the 7 db(s) using the 8 listener), and on straight 8 databases (all versions). This is a Test and Integration environment, which is why we are all over the oracle version map.

However, I cannot get a straight 7 db to register with the names server (8.0.5). The only way to get them into the names server is to manually add them, not a good solution for us...

Is this an oracle problem, or did I not do something right?

This is what I've done so far:

Relinked everything in the 7 database.
Attempted to register manually though lsnrctl. Tried numerous modifications to the sqlnet.ora and listener.ora file. Reread everything I can get my hands on concerning oracle names...

I'm at my wits end...
Any suggestions, comments appreciated...

--
Please remove ".nojunkmail" from my
address before replying............ Received on Thu Apr 29 1999 - 20:43:48 CDT