ConText and soundex

From: bds <jgiessne_at_bdsinc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:17:46 -0400

Hi,

I was having a problem with ConText and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and/or has a solution. When I do a soundex query in ConText (e.g.: "where contains(mycolumn, '!MYWORD', 0) > 0"), I sometimes (depending on the search word) get an empty return set when I shouldn't. I can verify this because I have a very short column and when I do a regular soundex query (e.g.: "where soundex(mycolumn) = soundex('MYWORD')") I get "hits" on rows that begin with words that sound like the word I'm looking for, but the ConText soundex search returns nothing.

I think I've limited the problem. From a lot of trial and error, it seems that If MYWORD is found in found in any row in the column, then there are no problems, the query will return rows where the column searched contains MYWORD, MIWORD, MYWURD, etc. However, if MYWORD is not found in any row of the column, it will NOT return MIWORD or MYWURD - it will return 0 rows. Basically, if it doesn't see at least one row with that exact word, I get no results.

I'm running Oracle 8.03 on NT. Any solutions/suggestions/soothing words/advice would be appreciated.

-Joe Received on Thu Apr 29 1999 - 17:17:46 CDT