Re: OCI, Stored Procedure and OCIBindByName

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:29:42 -0400

Yes, the actual values are ignored if indicator is -1. If you take a look at Oracle block format (DBA Guide), you'll find out that NULL columns have size field set to 0. In case of the "" string, that is it's actual size and that's why it works with SQLT_STR. It Doesn't work with SQLT_INT because the actual size of the integer is always one
machine word (or half of it, in case of some 64 bit systems. There are different standards for 64 bit OSes and I don't
think that any of those is prevalent at the moment. Everything will change with Win NT 3000 which will be full 64
bit OS. You can expect it in the late 2999, but delays are always possible.)