Re: TNS: packet writer failure while installing 8i

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:54:23 -0700

Bob

The 12571 error is one that you need to turn tracing on to see what's behind it. Let us know what the result is and we can probably highlight the problem.

As you've noticed, with 8.1.5 there is only one service on NT, The OracleStartSID service no longer exists.

HTH. Pete

rhillp56_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have downloaded 8i and was trying to install it. Everything went well for
> about 85% of the Oracle DB configuration assistant and then I get a
>
> ORA-12751: TNS packet writer error..
>
> I have rebooted, fixed the tnsnames.ora and litsener.ora files, but still get
> this error when I try to use SQLPlus or SVRMGRL to log into the instance.
> I'm assuming there is something wrong with my listener file or mebbe it's
> this new DEFAULT_HOME listener it has installed.. Also the is no longer a
> OralceStartSID anymore like there was in 8.0.5..
>
> Hmm any tips on what I'm missing here??
>
> Bob

Regards

Pete

Pete Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA