Re: Dynamic Reconnection after a Failure in Distributed Databases

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:03:12 -0700

Transparent application failover is supported in Oracle8, but is normally used in Parallel Server, or alternatively FailSafe. It needs the OCI version 8 libraries, so anything that is not linked with them won't be able to use this.

In a distributed environment, I have heard people talking about doing something similar by trapping the error codes that indicate failure in the application, but nobody I know has implemented it. In any case, I'd look seriously at your application to see if it even makes sense in a distributed environment. If transactions are frequently distributed rather than just remote, and parts of the databases die, do you really want to leave in-doubt transactions in your environment?

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA