? strange Data Dictionary results: views and column alias

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babettet_at_tmi.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:27:46 GMT

Hello everyone.

I am having a problem determining how to re-create a view from the data dictionary. I thought that I could use the text from user_views to find the way the view was defined. However, this does not seem to work for column alias on views. Any ideas?

For instance:

SQL> select text from user_views
 where view_name = 'FAX_SUBSCRIBERS';

TEXT

select
 sub_id, pin, status, sp_id, serial_number, fax_featcd,  mt_signaling_code, sub_type
from SUBSCRIBER_at_FAX_SERVER

BUT, when I descrive the view, I get:

SQL CMISPROD> desc fax_subscribers

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 TELEPHONE_NUMBER                NOT NULL VARCHAR2(10)
 MT_IU_PIN                                VARCHAR2(6)
 MT_IU_STATE                     NOT NULL CHAR(1)
 DIST_ID                                  VARCHAR2(4)
 MT_IU_ID                        NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
 MT_IU_FEATCD                    NOT NULL VARCHAR2(20)
 MT_SIGNALING_CODE                        VARCHAR2(2)
 SUBSCRIBER_TYPE                 NOT NULL CHAR(1)

dba_tab_columns provides the column names above. So where is the column alias stored??
I need to be able to extract the "original" definition of the view so I can re-create it on another instance. I do not want to use export / import to get the view as I wish to check the definition into source code control and export / import does not do this.

Thanks in advance
Babette Received on Thu Apr 29 1999 - 10:27:46 CDT