Re: SID-nificance

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:44:09 -0400

Hi Gerry,

    I think the question of having duplicate SID names vs. distinct SID names depends on your environment. In both my last job and my current job the DBA group is responsible for installing and maintaining Oracle installations in multiple sites. Since each installation has the same database structure, stored procedures, etc. it is easier to use the same SID names on each system. The benefits are:

        Use standard scripts for monitoring and modifying databases

        Instant identification (ORCL is production, TEST is test).

    regards

Jerry Gitomer