Re: Value of MAXDATAFILES

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:12:15 -0700

Alex Hudghton wrote:

> Is there any way to get the value of MAXDATAFILES from the database (NOT
> using 'alter database backup controlfile to trace) ??
>
> Alex

The MAXDATAFILES is the number of 'slots' reserved in the control files, as opposed to the (smaller or equal) storage in SGA which is allocated from the init.ora db_files parameter (which you can get from V$PARAMETER). With Oracle8 you can get it from one of the new V$ views, I am not sure about the name, something like V$CONTROL_HEADER_SECTION or similar (I suggest select name from v$fixed_table where type = 'VIEW' and name like '%CONTROL%'). With previous version I am not quite sure you can get it from the number of rows of a X$ pseudo view as said in another post. It may be the case, but I have always had the impression that the number of lines in X$ tables rather were connected to init.ora values. You can try a few of the X$KCF something tables listed in V$fixed_table.

--
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation