Re: Stored object text are not visible

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:48:36 -0700

jfguyard wrote:

> All stored objects belongs to the same schema.
> All developers should be able to see the package bodies and procedure
> sources. At the time being they own "execute any procedure" and "altr
> any procedure" rights.
> But they don't see sources.

Like with any program, the right to execute a program and the right to see the code are unrelated things ... The source code is stored in table sys.source$, which is usually accessed through USER_SOURCE (to see one's own stuff) or DBA_SOURCE. What you can do is to connect as SYS and GRANT SELECT ON DBA_SOURCE TO PUBLIC (or perhaps more carefully to the role devoted to developers, if there is one). However, this will enable them to see about ALL the procedures in the database. If you want to limit their vision to the source code of a single user, the best you can do is to search the catalog.sql ($ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory, God knows where under NT, and ORA_RDBMS if I remember well under VMS) for the USER_SOURCE view creation and create something similar by replacing the USER pseudo column there by the (hard-coded, sigh) name of your schema.

--
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation