Dilemma in choosing the candidate for the primary key.

From: Erika Grondzakova <Erika.Grondzakova_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:38:54 +0200

Hello,

I'm making a new DB design. In the previous version of this DB, several tables had as a primary key the column - name of the element from the table. This column was VARCHAR2(16) and was unique. In the table there wasn't another suitable number column.

In a new design I would create a new number column - sequence (maintain it in the trigger) to define the primary key. My feeling is that it would require less storage space in the index and as a foreign keys.

Does anybody has such as dilemma to choose PK canditate from the natural column or to add one artificial? Do you have some experience in chossing one or another approach? Any pros and contra in the sence of performance, storage, way of using...?

Thank you very much in advance.

Erika Grondzakova Received on Wed Apr 28 1999 - 08:38:54 CDT