Re: SID-nificance

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:39:09 -0400

It seems to me that you would want to have distinct SID names within the same region. But even then it is the service names that need to be different (as in tnsnames.ora).

When moving instances around we often have duplicate SIDs on different servers. As long as the tnsnames "alias" is different there is no problem. Of course on the same server SIDs must be distinct.

The best reason I can come up with for different SID names is just maintenance. Keeping everything strait. It is better to have an internal and external name the same so that even the DBA's will not be too confused.

--
Gerry Sinkiewicz
sinkiege_at_snet.net Received on Tue Apr 27 1999 - 19:39:09 CDT