Re: Migrating/upgrading from 7.3.3 to 8.0.5

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:52:51 +0800

Ken,

In this case, I would probably be looking at PL/SQL blocks, so that you can commit the transactions during the migration, and then use Database Links to get the data from the v7 database and inserting locally into the v8 database.

Also, with PL/SQL it will be possible to have an exception table whereby all rows which fail the migration rules can be loaded into. (FK type failures).

Finally, remember that unless Oracle has fixed the feature of SQL*Plus COPY command, if you try and copy a column with a value of "ABC " (note the space), this will become "ABC" (no space) at the end of the COPY operation.

Andrew