Re: Unix vs NT

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:55:05 -0400

Gee, I thought that NT's security model was a simple binary model --

    if hooked up to a network it isn't secure.     If not hooked up to a network it is secure :-)

The model may be better, but the implementation is broken. Unfortunately NT's problems tend to be hidden behind a cloud of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt emanating from Microsoft's PR people. When are they going to realize that corporate buyers are sophisticated enough to known that all operating systems have problems and that they best approach is to fix the problems and not try to hide them from the prospective buyers.

IMHO, Microsoft's approach is irresponsible. For example, after all of the to-ing and fro-ing I still don't know if NT 4.0 with SP 4 is fully compliant with Y2K. (I think the official Microsoft position is that it is compliant with minor exceptions -- but I am not sure if that is the current position and if so I don't know if it is correct.)

regards

Jerry Gitomer

-