Enforcement of 1 to many

From: Clifford Buetikofer <clifford_buetikofer_at_merck.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:10:52 -0400

Gurus,

I need to enforce a 1 ( mandatory ) to many relationship between 2 tables. Can the database do this or should we control it at the application level ? We do have a FK on the child table but how do we enforce ALL parents to have at least 1 child ? Procedurally ?

TIA,
Cliff
( I have 2 kids so I'm covered )

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.