Re: Help! Bitmap Index

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:32:05 +0100

Performance benefits from bitmap indexes come from combining several 'bad' indexes in a single query. If your data set is 50% male 50% female, then a query only by gender is bound to be inefficient since it has to access a very large data set.

For some realistic test results on Oracle 7.3 (not yet repeated on 8.0, but coming soon) see the article on my website under the 'features' section.

--

Jonathan Lewis