Re: Large NT databases

From: Stilian Elenkov <elenkovs_at_vtls.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:28:37 -0400

Jonathan Gennick wrote:

> I was thinking the other day about creating large NT
> databases, when a question suddenly struck me. How do you
> name the drives? On a UNIX system that I manage, we have
> seventy drives allocated for a database. Naming is easy. We
> have seventy mount points numbered from /M01 through /M70.
> How would you do this on NT? There aren't enough drive
> letters. What happens after Z: ?
>
> Jonathan

You just don't use that many. Do you really need 70 physical drives corresponding to 70 logical drives even on UNIX? You can combine a few physical drives into a single logical drive (like 4, 8 16, 20 disk RAID 1/0 into a single volume) and have superior performance and reliability, not to mention SCSI channel separation and improved load distribution.
You can and should do the same for UNIX too. Again is there a reason for having 70 physical drives corresponding to 70 logical drives, except just because you can or having 20 - 30 Oracle instances on the same box.

Stilian Received on Mon Apr 26 1999 - 12:28:37 CDT