Re: Oracle Recovery Urgent

From: <bvalent_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 02:33:20 GMT

You need to restore this database from a backup. You do not need to create a new instance. Keep the same SID, db name, etc. Creating the new instance is what made it tell you the dbid's were different. Now that you have copied over the system.dbf of the new instance, you won't be able to use it anymore without rebuilding it also.

If you are in archivelog mode, you should:

- restore the files to their desired location
- mount the database and rename the datafiles
- recover the database

If you are not in archivelog mode, you should restore a cold backup of the database, mount the database and rename the files, open the database.

This is pretty short and sweet. I suggest you refer to the backup and recovery documentation that is with your software, or if you are in really dire straits, call Support.

Beth