Re: Oracle 8i Database Will Not Install on NT

From: Charles M <charlesm1NOSPAM_at_rocketmail.whatever>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:57:19 -0500

In article <QsFU2.13757$D9.3958898_at_news2.mia>, ac_kelly_at_bellsouth.net says...
> I've seen several messages here about installation problems of Oracle 8i on
> Windows NT. I received the CD from Oracle TechNet last week. I, also, failed
> to get the installation completed. The new Installer seems to work great
> (wonderful new interface). However, I can install the Client Products
> (Option 2) and the Developer Products (Option 3). However, when I attempt to
> install the database (Option 1), nothing happens. Period.
>
> I've chosen the Full Installation, Minimal Installation,and even the Custom
> Installation. Each time, the CD spins and whirls for about a minute,
> hard-drive activity furiously works away, then suddenly the Installation
> splash screen reappears and the installer screen just goes away with no
> error messages. Nothing. Just a splash screen staring at me (and vice
> versa).
>
> I've checked the logfiles in \Program Files\Oracle\Inventory and it appears
> to progress nicely querying for disk space, memory, etc. until it makes a
> call to a Java Class to get NodeName, then the logfile ends. No error
> messages whatsoever. Almost "Twilight Zone" stuff here. Anyway, I followed
> all of the instructions TO THE LETTER, including making a new oracle home to
> separate it from my installed version of Oracle 8.0.5. I even de-installed
> 8.0.5, cleaned the registry. I've even moved everything out of the Startup
> folder and shutdown all unnecessary applications. Everything. System specs
> below. Any clues would be appreciated.
>
> Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4
> 128 MB RAM
> 4.8 GB free space on target drive
> 2.6 GB free on TEMP directory drive
> Pentium II @450 MHz
>
> I did notice that when attempting to install the database before installing
> anything else (Client or Developer), the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) didn't
> even get installed. In fact nothing happened except the new ORA8I_HOME
> directory was created.
>
> I've de-installed the entire product, and re-installed 8.0.5 (which still
> works great). I'm waiting for an answer from Oracle or anyone before
> re-attempting this frustrating action again. I've also ordered the Oracle 8i
> for Linux CD. Maybe that one will work on my Linux partition.
>
> Allan Kelly

Just a wild guess here, but there was an occasional problem (due to NT, not Oracle) with JAVA based aps that would cause only java.exe to show up as a running task, but never present a GUI. Sometimes, setting color resolution down to 256 would help. If you've nothing better to try, see if that helps. The MS getadminfix (sp?) had to be installed to correct this. Your problem sounds kind of like that to me, but I've not played with SP4 (which should include the aforementioned getadminfix), so I can't say. I've heard of many other problems due to SP4, so it may be one of those as well.

CMM Received on Sun Apr 25 1999 - 09:57:19 CDT