Re: Installing Oracle on Linux

From: St Erroneous <Xishamael_at_erroneous.demon.co.ukX>
Date: 25 Apr 1999 14:02:45 GMT

[Newsgroups: line pruned]

Tuomas Hosia <hosia_at_lut.fi> seems to write:
>John Zuska <jzuska_at_fastweb.com> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:
>>There are a few other problems with the oracle install you should be
>>aware of. First off there is a bug in the linux version of oracle
>>that is fatal, I am sorry to say. Oracle 8 will not run on linux
>>without LOTS OF tweaking.
>Hoh. I installed 8.0.5 pre-release version on RH 5.1 and it works. So
>where's the 'lots of tweaking' and 'fatal bug' ?
>And why don't you name those problems? You can't?

What he's saying sounds like FUD to me but there _is_ one key problem - the lgwr process doesn't _appear_ (viewed using strace) to open logfiles with O_SYNC, nor does it fsync the log files after a commit.

Ie, writes to the redo logs are buffered in memory. This is evil and, in case of a machine/power failure could result in lost transactions.

strace the rdms background processes yourself and watch what they do on commits/log changes.

-michael
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous http://www.erroneous.demon.co.uk/ "I made a god out of blood not superiority  I killed the king of deceit

 Wake me up in anarchy"                             -- KMFDM, Anarchy