Re: Pro*C(++) precompiler and libraries for linux

From: George Hicken <bane_462051_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 06:50:07 GMT

In article <713C1A11693633A0.6904F3D2A57EE10C.73F2B16A7A286D7D_at_library- proxy.airnews.net>,
  bwit_at_ticnet.com (Bob Withers) wrote:
> [This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was
> sent to bane_462051_at_yahoo.com if this address didn't require editing.]
>
> In article <7fpa5k$a36$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, bane_462051_at_yahoo.com
> says...
> > I have Oracle 7.2 for solaris, but a web server running on RedHat5.1 Linux
> > (intel).
> > I need to get hold of libraries, and precompiler(C++) for linux, in order to
> > write a web interface.
> > Does anyone know where I can get these without purchasing Oracle for linux?
> >
> > Please reply to george.hicken_at_wartsila.fi as well as the group if possible
> >
> > -George

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
> >

> George,
>
> You don't give much information about what your trying to do but have you
> considered using Java servlets and the Oracle thin JDBC driver to
> implement your web interface? I've found this to be an excellent
> solution. It's platform portable and you can download the Oracle JDBC
> driver from their web site.
>
> Please let me know if you need further information.
>
> Regards,
> Bob
>
> --
> Bob Withers Do or do not, there is no try
> bwit_at_pobox.com Yoda
> http://www.pobox.com/~bwit

Sounds like a great solution, but the problem is with this that I know c and c++ but unfortunately, not java, and don't have the time to learn right now.

But more details on what I am trying to do. There is a database containing details on company suppliers. This needs to be accessed from anywhere across the company intranet.

Employees need to be able to search it, and browse the companies in it, and management needs to be able to update (with a very simple interface) the details of companies, and the components they supply.

Currently I am using c++ cgi scripts to generate the data, and client side javascript to hold it all together.

-George