Re: Which control file should be used to do recovery?

From: <cust101_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:17:22 GMT

  1. Yes you can use the control file copied as part of the cold backup. You can use the syntax recover database using backup controlfile. But you have to open the database with 'RESETLOGS'. Then you have to do cold backup immediately.

You can not use a control file which was copied while the database is running. But after the crash, you can use the current controlfile if it is not lost. Best approach is to mirror the control file onto 3 different disks and hope that atleast one of them survives the crash. Then you can use that controlfile to do the recovery. You need to go to backup controlfile only if you lost all the controlfiles and you donot the structure of the database. If you know the structure of the database then you can try to create a controlfile using 'CREATE CONTROLFILE' statement and use it do the recovery. In order to create the control file you should startup nomount.

raghuvir