Re: firewall sqlnet woes

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:20:54 +0800

Hi Dan,

I think you will find that the problem is that the port that Oracle redirects client to is not defined as opened within your firewall.

When the client makes the initial connection, the message is sent though on Port 1521, but once the connection has been received by the Listener, a shadow process is started to listen on another port (random unused port) and a message is sent back to the client stating which port the client should subsequently communicate on. The client then tries to establish a connection on this port number, and your firewall is rejecting the connection.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to tell Oracle which ports the listener should allow connections on, so there is no way to open these ports up.

Hope this helps,
Andrew