Re: URGENT!!-How to figure out password??

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:56:56 -0700

mvipani wrote:

> I have the sys password for Oracle 8 DB. I need to know if I can use the
> dba_users table to figure out the passwords of the other users. I do not
> want to change it but need to know what it is. Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> Tx
> MV

I don't think that the encryption algorithm used by Oracle can be reversed. Now, all depends on why you want to see those passwords. If it's because the user has forgotten it, all you can do is to force it to another value. If you want to be able to log as the user without asking anybody what the b***y password is, you do not need to 'read' it if you're a DBA - just to save the current value, change it temporarily and restore the saved values, which can be done pretty easily. You may find a script to do this (become.sql) at the oriolecorp web site, and I have met more or less similar scripts at a few other sites too. --
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation

http://www.oriolecorp.com, designed by Oracle DBAs for Oracle DBAs