Oracle8 Partitioning

From: <mrekapalli_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:13:14 GMT

Hello There,

We are using Solaris 2.6 and Oracle 8.0.5 for a Data Warehouse application.

I have a few questions on table and index partitioning.

We are planning to create a partitioned table and the partitioning key will be a date.

Based on this assumption, data that belongs to January 1999 will be in Jan_1999 partition.

We will have some local indexes created on this table.

When we get February data, we will add a new partition, Feb_1999. Also, whenever we add a new partition to a table, all the local indexes will be automatically created for that new table partition.

If indexes exist, data load might a take long time. So, is there any way that we can

  1. drop the index partition
  2. load data
  3. then, re-create the index partition?

Also, when adding a new partition to a table, how do I specify the tablespace clause for the local indexes that belong to the new table partition? These local index segments are created in the default tablespace.

I was also thinking of loading the data into a seperate table and then use "alter table exchange partition". In the documentation, they gave an example on how to make a partition of a table into a non-partitioned table. I could not figure out how to make a non-partitioned table into a partition.

If you know how to use "alter table exchange partition" (OR) if you have any suggestions to modify/improve the design, please send me an email.

THANKS in advance.