Re: Unix Raw Device Permissions

From: Gary Gapinski <glg_at_apk.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 05:40:42 -0400

The same permissions apply as those of instance storage areas manifest as files. I believe the Oracle recommendation is owned by the "oracle" account and permissions u=rw,g=,o= (600).

Specifically, the logical volumes must be readable and writeable by at least the uid of instance processes.

After logical volume creation in AIX, the block and character device nodes will by owned by sys(root?) with group sys. The block nodes can be left as is; only the character nodes need change, as those will be the ones cited for instance "datafiles".

I personally set them to u=rw,g=w,o= for owner oracle and group dba, since I let members of the dba group perform backups on the raw logical volumes.

NB: logical volume alterations, such as renaming, can undo permissions and ownership.

Regards,

Gary Received on Thu Apr 22 1999 - 04:40:42 CDT