Aurora JVM (Oracle 8i) Security problem

From: Charles L. Robinson <datec_at_wwa.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:01:45 -0500

I was going through the example in the Java Stored Procedures manual and everything was going fairly smoothly using SQL+PLUS as my interface to the Database (all on one machine). I noticed that SQLException errors were just being lost and I modified the example to write the errors out to a log file.

I then discovered that the JVM throws a Security Violation / Exception when I tried to create the log file. A little more investigation showed that I could not EXEC programs or do any of the other "untrusted" things. It looks like my Java code was being treated as if it was an untrusted applet.

Is this a misunderstanding on my part or a bug / bad feature?

I can modify the database so that part of the system "trusts" me --- why not the JVM.

--
Charlie Robinson
Datec Inc.