Re: sqlnet.log file growing with this error.

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:18:16 -0700

The error stack you're getting is:

Error: ORA 12206
Text: TNS:received a TNS error during navigation

Cause: Internal navigation error because of an unexpected TNS error. Action: Look at the log file to find the TNS error. If necessary, turn

        on tracing and repeat the operation.

OK, so what's further down the stack?

Error: ORA 12545
Text: TNS:name lookup failure

Cause: A protocol specific ADDRESS parameter cannot be resolved. Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly;

        The most likely incorrect value is the node name.

Error: ORA 12560
Text: TNS:protocol adapter error

Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred. Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before
        reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level
        transport errors.For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the
        operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.

Error: TNS 00515
Text: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program being connected to does not exist.
Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly; the
     most likely incorrect parameter is the node name.  Ensure that the
     executable for the server exists (perhaps "oracle" is missing.)

The last three all point to address parameter issues. Can you post the tnsnames.ora so we can see that?

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                             Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA