Re: database link strange behavior

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:12:01 +0200

Hi James,
To my best knowledge when using global_names the database name (db_name parameter) and the SID and the servicename in tnsnames.ora all should match. Servicename and global database name definitely should match.
Global database name is made up at two sides: at the server side by concatenating db_name and db_domain, at the client side by concatenating the service name with the names.default_domain parameter in sqlnet.ora. And of course, there is a global_dbname string in listener.ora at the server side. This all points to you forgot to change the database name. When global names is false, sqlnet simply doesn't check for consistency, if it is true, it does. I remember getting this error with similar mismatches.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
James wrote in message <7fl51u$hh0$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I have encountered a puzzling problem regarding database links.
>
>Oracle 7.3.4.3 on AIX 4.3.1 (IBM RS/6000)
>
>global_names = true
>
>We are upgrading Peoplesoft code and part of the process involves code that
>takes the upgraded modules from one database and applies it in another.
This