Re: Shutdown Abort - Not a Good Idea, Right?

From: Bass Chorng <bass_at_octel.com>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 18:58:53 GMT

M. Bhatti (mohammed.bhatti_at_mci.com) wrote:
: I just recently noticed that, before doing cold backups, our db
: instances (Oracle 7.3.2/8.0.5, Sun Solaris 2.5.1) are shutdown aborted
: than brought up and shutdown normal, so that the cold backup can be
: started immediately after the shutdown normal.

: Question is, I thought shutdown abort should not be used except in
: extreme conditions ie when a db instance
: cannot be shutdown normal/immediate.

: So, I assume that:
: This is bad idea right (shutdown abort)?
: What can happen to the db?

: Thanks for any input.

: mkb

I have experienced database hanging at shutdown immediate. No, its not doing rollback or anything like that. It just sits there.

This has happend so often with one of our largest databases that we scripted it to shutdown immediate first, sleep for 30 minutes, check process, and shutdown abort if it's still up. Otherwise you can never perform a clean cold backup.

I have never seen a shutdown aborted databse fail to come up in 4 years. And we are NOT using it in exteme condition - because of what we believe to be an Oracle bug.

So I dont think it is that bad to shutdown abort. Instance will recover as long as your redos are there but expect starting up time to be longer if you do so.

Regards,

-Bass Chorng Received on Wed Apr 21 1999 - 13:58:53 CDT