database link strange behavior

From: James <james_lorenzen_at_allianzlife.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:23:00 GMT

I have encountered a puzzling problem regarding database links.

Oracle 7.3.4.3 on AIX 4.3.1 (IBM RS/6000)

global_names = true

We are upgrading Peoplesoft code and part of the process involves code that takes the upgraded modules from one database and applies it in another. This process uses a database link. Since we are testing teh process, I "cloned" the production database from one machine to another. I then renamed the database from 'PROD' to 'TSTU' by rebuilding the control file, changing the init.ora file and followed guidlines that I found on the "orafaq.org" sight for cloning the database.

The listener.ora and tnsnames.ora were adjusted on both machines. When I try to use the database link from the upgrade dateabase to test the upgrade, I get an Oracle error that my link 'TSTU.WORLD' points to 'PROD.WORLD'. This stops the testing (and upgrade) process.

If I set "global_names = false", with no other changes, then the link works fine. Obviously I missed something when I cloned 'PROD' to 'TSTU'. My question is what was missed. My 'TSTU' database points back to itself when I try to link it 'PROD'. This is very confusing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
    James