redo log archiving under Oracle 8

From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl_at_mtl.mit.edu>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 16:58:57 GMT

Hi, I've been experimenting with getting archive logging and archive log mirroring going for one of my databases. I've edited the config<sid>.ora file and have run the 'alter database archivelog' command. Everything seems to be ok. I run 'archive log list' and the destination seems to be set correctly BUT when I go to run 'archive log start', I get the following error:

SVRMGR> archive log start;
ORA-00443: background process "ARCH" did not start ORA-07274: spdcr: access error, access to oracle denied. SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

SVRMGR> archive log list;

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Disabled
Archive destination            /oracle/redo1/oradata/ADM1/archive
Oldest online log sequence     2
Next log sequence to archive   4
Current log sequence           4

The above directory does exist and it is rwx for oracle. Does anyone have a clue as to what many be wrong? Do I need a sym link somewhere? Is Oracle looking somewhere else for archive logging?

thanks much for any light you can shed on this,

--tom

    Thomas Lohman - Software Developer
    MIT Building 36 - Room 297; Cambridge, MA. 02139     e-mail: thomasl_at_mtl.mit.edu
    World Wide Web: http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~thomasl/ Received on Wed Apr 21 1999 - 11:58:57 CDT