Re: Performance Issue with OAS 4.0.7

From: Sam Jordan <sjo_at_spin.ch>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:25:13 +0000

Venkatesh Kumar wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I finally got the Oracle Web Server OAS 4.0.7 to work with Windows NT
> 4.0 (with SP4). I had to install te Patch to make it work with SP4.
> However, the response really sucks. The PL/Sql Catridge takes almost
> 25-35 seconds before it comes back with a response. The next time around
> it is fine. It is fine as long as Iam calling a procedure. If there is
> break in the call to a procedure it takes the 25-30 seconds for a
> response.
>
> I have changed the default Catrridge config parameters and bupmed the
> minimum number of instances to 5 and max to 20. also I have changed the
> client session to 5. But it still makes no difference.
>
> Any suggestions on what else I need to do. My frined tells me that the
> documentation mentions that the performance of a standalone OAS server
> will be slower than if it is running off a server. I find it hard to
> believe.

This solved the problem for me (WAS3/Linux/Java). Actually I was hunting the problem using a network monitor. I found out, that the response of the application server to the web server is available very quickly, but the response is sent about 4-5 times in intervals of 2 seconds (when I measured it) before it is confirmed by the web server. It seems as OAS has a problem with its own communication protocol.

Actually sone other people have found out, that the problem could be solved by writing a small program, which hits the web server once each second to keep it busy. But I can't confirm that.

bye
--
Sam Jordan Received on Wed Apr 21 1999 - 08:25:13 CDT