Re: Oracle8i for Linux: Anyone recieved their CD yet?

From: Andrew Babb <andrewb_at_mail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:36:07 +0800

Max,

The newest version of Oracle is Oracle8i or Oracle8 v8.1.5. This was formally announced last year at Oracle OpenWorld in the US. However, as you can see from the threads, Oracle8i is not yet readily available, and it will probably be some months (quarters) before mission critical Oracle8i systems are moved into production.

The stable version of Oracle8 is Oracle8 v8.0.5, which has been available for some years now (Oracle8 that is), so if you are developing a new system, I would suggest Oracle8 v8.0.5. However, for existing systems, that are going through Y2K testing, I am recommending not to undergo any Oracle upgrades except for patchsets if necessary.

With regards to the versioning, as part of Oracle's Technology Network, you can register for a particular Technology Track. The track that I am registered for is the Server Technology Track. This is the way that I, and you, can get the early adopter versions of Oracle products. (you need to pay for your technology track).

With regards to the downloads for free, yes you can download the versions, but they are subjected to all the Oracle Licensing issues of Oracle. As part of the Technology Network, I have a Developers License, which means I cannot deploy any product that I build into a production environment without the appropriate license being purchased from Oracle Corp for the targeted machine.

Checkout http://technet.oracle.com/ and look up new accounts.

Andrew