Re: compression in a exp utility

From: Peter Gadah <pgadah_at_magicnet.net>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 04:40:11 GMT

Falcioni,

The best method that I've found to compress an export file on the fly (due to OS limitations) is the following method:

Subject:  Can one beat the 2 Gigabyte Unix file limit for export files?

Some Unix platforms are still limited to 2 Gigabyte files. This FAQ explains how to
overcome this limitation.

Create a compressed export on the fly. Depending on the type of data, you probably can
export up to 10 gigabytes to a single file.

This example uses gzip. It offers the best compression I know of, but you can substitute
compress, zip, or whatever.

        # create a named pipe
        mknod exp.pipe p
        # read the pipe - output to zip file in the background
        gzip < exp.pipe > scott.exp.gz &
        # feed the pipe
        exp userid=scott/tiger file=exp.pipe ...

That is all there is to it. Contributed by Jared K Still.

Reference

http://www.orafaq.org/faqmain.htm

Hope that helps.
Regards,