Re: Fighting Words? Shared Pool Size

From: Ross Mohan <postmaster_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 02:32:06 -0400

Glad i didn't have to cross light sabers with you, Obi Wan. <g>

The only icing i could add to this is to develop a nightly, dynamic pin script
based on loads, footprint, etc. from x$ksmlru ( ?think i got that right?) and
row cache, shared pool, and library cache latch activity. I'd love to learn more about the latch parent/child behavior, but don't know quite where to dip the stick in the river....also liked Andrew Babb's comments about (what i'll dub) namespace thrashing and i will be taking a look at that.

thanks all.

Steve Adams wrote in message <7fhvdv$ioh$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Hi Guys,
>
>I believe that Ross is on the right track here. I've fought this battle
>several times. We have a 1400 connected (300 active) user system that only
>needs 50M of shared pool. Most shared pool latch contention comes down to
>long lists of chunks on the first and second free list buckets, and most
>library cache latch contention comes down to long collision chains hanging
>off the hash table. I'd go so far as to say, keep everything of value and
>flush the pool routinely.
>
>Regards,
>Steve Adams
>
>----------
>In article <7fh5ee$et3_at_dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>,
> "Ross Mohan" <postmaster_at_127.0.0.1> wrote:
>> >cursor_space_for_time will nearly always end up with a large shared
>> >pool.

>> and that CSFT wasn't helping things by forcing additional pool mgmt
>>
>> As to what defines a large shared pool depends heavily on the
>> >number of applications that the instance has to support. After sizing
>> >exercises, I've ended up with Shared Pools ranging from about 20Mb's
>> >upto about 400Mb's. Both were about the correct size for the job they
>> >were being asked to perform.

>> bindvars
>> versus not. I haven't ever seen the need ( up to, say, about 500
>> concurrent, busy
>> thin-client users, multiple apps ) to have a pool larger than 150MB.
On